MSP® Certification Course Overview
MSP® is the go-to guidance and certification for programme managers, business change managers, and aspiring project managers.
‘Managing Successful Programmes’ (MSP®) represents proven Best Practice programme management and is a framework for successfully delivering large scale, transformational change, through a dossier of related projects and related activities to make the change ‘stick’.
The Foundation qualification will provide you with the necessary knowledge and understanding of the MSP® guidance to interact effectively with those involved in programme management. The Practitioner qualification will enable you to apply the MSP® framework to your own work and, therefore act as an informed member of a programme management team — someone responsible for managing, leading, supporting or advising on work within an MSP® environment.
WHAT IS VIRTUAL TRAINING?
Instructor-led training combines the personal teaching experience of a classroom, with the ease and flexibility of a virtual environment. Our virtual courses are interactive and engaging, allowing participants to communicate with both the instructor and each other in a collaborative manner.
This is an intensive five-day course that helps prepares you for the MSP® Foundation and Practitioner examinations.
You must pass the MSP® Foundation exam prior to undertaking the MSP® Practitioner examination
Foundation Learning Objectives
You need to show that you understand the key principles and terminology within the MSP guidance. Specifically, successful candidates should be able to:
- Distinguish between projects and programmes
- Identify the MSP defined types of programme and their characteristics
- Explain the benefits of applying the MSP guidance to the management of a programme of transformational change
- Explain the purpose and areas of focus of the defined roles
- Explain the purpose of the seven MSP principles, the nine governance themes and the six transformational flow processes
- Explain the purpose of MSP programme information (documents)
Practitioner Learning Objectives
You need to exhibit the competences required for the Foundation qualification and show that you can apply the MSP guidance in a relatively uncomplicated programme within a programme environment. Specifically, successful candidates should be able to:
- Identify additional value as a result of managing the described change as an MSP programme
- Explain and apply each of the MSP principles, the governance themes and the transformational flow processes and their activities
- Explain the relationship between the MSP principles, governance themes, the transformational flow, programme information (documents) and the MSP defined programme management roles
- Produce and evaluate examples of MSP programme information (documents)
This course is aimed at any organisation or individual seeking to understand and adopt a controlled approach to running and controlling its programmes, in particular:
- Programme managers
- Senior Managers who will ‘sponsor’ the change
- Operational Managers charged with embedding the change in their area
- Operational staff undertaking a role in the programme or related projects
- Programme office staff (PMO) wishing to build upon their project management knowledge
- Experienced Project Managers
- Those seeking a professional qualification in programme management
This is an intensive course that requires you to complete mandatory pre-course studies. Study material must be sent out 1 to 2 weeks prior to an event.
You will also be required to complete some evening work during the virtual classroom event.
HOW YOU TAKE YOUR EXAM
The exam is taken online via remote proctor. You will be able to book a suitable time after your virtual classroom event has finished to undertake your exam
Note: You are responsible for booking your own exam. You must pass Foundation prior to taking the Practitioner examination.
Foundation exam format
- Multiple-choice exam
- 1-hour duration
- 75 questions (including five trial questions)
- 50% pass mark (35/70)
Practitioner exam format
You must first pass the MSP Foundation exam to sit the MSP Practitioner exam. The exam format for the Practitioner element is as follows:
- Objective testing
- Eight questions per paper,
- 50% pass rate (40/80)
- 2½ hours duration
- Open book (only the MSP guide is allowed)